Monday, November 10, 2014

Blog Post 10

Since I have been in the class ASC 112 I have learned how habits build and how to prevent bad ones from taking place. Good behavior should be rewarded. In ASC class I learned to give myself short breaks when I am studying. After I study hard for 30 minutes I will allow myself 5 minutes of free time to reply back to text messages, and check social media.I even notice that after 30 minutes I sometimes am not ready for a break. I have already started a paper and find it inconvenient to stop in middle of it. This is known as the Zeigarnik effect. 
One of the things I struggled with coming into college was that I have a hard time getting started on my homework or papers. Since I never want to start it, assignments were getting marked as incomplete, in result lowering my grade. Finding the willpower to simply get started typing an introduction for a paper took time, but over time it got easier. Will power is like a muscle, the more you practice and use it the easier it becomes. I found that once I got focused on my paper that I didn't want to stop until I got to a certain point. This focused state of mind, and my willpower made it easier to block out distractions.
Before ASC class I rarely set goals for myself. I realize now that I did not accomplish nearly as much because i didn't set goals. Writing down a specific goal with a time frame and hanging it in a place where you will see it frequently is an effective way to hold yourself accountable for the goals you’ve made. I even learned to set short term goals for myself. For example, I will set a goal for a list of things I need to do by Sunday night including doing all my laundry and cleaning my room and bathroom. 
I have found that using my planner is the best way for me to stay organized. I write down every assignment for each class along with the due date. This helps me not forget to turn something in and to stay on top of all classwork. I also use my planner to take notes and reminders of my appointments with professors and upcoming exams. Having a reminder to tell my there is a test in CAS in two weeks is helpful for because it reminds me to start studying ahead of time. 

I learned that it is not as effective to cram all studying into one night. Instead, it is better to break up studying over a course of a week or two. Studying a little bit every night helps the encoding process making its easier to recall information when it comes to a test. What you do while studying and how you study effects how well you retain information. Just re- reading notes and chapter overviews is a shallow processing strategy and is not enough to fully understand the concept. Self quizzing and writing test questions is a study method I have found effective.  Learning how to apply the concept to your own life, and the world is deep processing and i can be remembered in the long term. 


No comments:

Post a Comment